A strong appetite, average palate, and weak writing, mixed with outdoor adventure.

A strong appetite, average palate, and weak writing, mixed with outdoor adventure.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Mt Lincoln

This climb occurred on April 23, 2011.

Stats:

  • Route: Standard Route from Kite Lake
  • Distance: ~9.5 miles
  • Elevation Gain: ~3,000 feet
  • Start time: 8:00 AM
  • Time: unknown
  • Climbers: Alan, Stam, Sandy

Mt Democrat, Mt Cameron, Mt Lincoln and Mt Bross sit in a high cirque and in summer conditions are often all climbed from Kite Lake. This trailhead begins at 12,000 feet and allows one to climb 4 14ers in 7.5 miles. Being early in the season the approach road is not maintained during the winter, so the first 2.5 miles are an easy walk, but do add additional distance. It was here we met Mike, who was out on a solo effort and joined our trio. The wind was up and it was snowing, so visibility was limited. Below is Alan with Mike and I snowshoeing into the white.

IMG_0662

This was supposed to be a climb of Mt Democrat, which Alan has not yet climbed. I have been thwarted on Mt Lincoln for a variety of reasons, missing the summit on every one of my four attempts. When we reached the saddle Alan graciously agreed to climb Mt Lincoln, although we would have to go over Cameron to get to it.

The winds on the summit ridge were stiff, but merely a warm up for the gale force breeze awaiting on Cameron’s summit plateau. We quickly donned every piece of clothing we had and then continued onto Lincoln. Dropping off the summit of Cameron we were out of the wind and instantly overheated. Knowing the winds would return atop Lincoln we opted to keep moving.

It has been a while since I have stood atop a new summit. I was surprised by my excitement. I was borderline giddy, which is nothing new, but this was definitely an order of magnitude greater. It is these moments, whether experienced in the alpine or the desert, that makes me know I am spending my time in the places I should be.

Alan and I atop Lincoln

IMG_0675

Stam, Alan and I lower on the mountain

IMG_0665

No comments:

Post a Comment