A strong appetite, average palate, and weak writing, mixed with outdoor adventure.

A strong appetite, average palate, and weak writing, mixed with outdoor adventure.

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Texas

One of the Texans, David, offered me a weekend in Fort Worth, promising me a tour of his favorite restaurants and bars, as well some biking and trail running. When it comes to friends, food, and exercise I am like a moth to the light, so off I flew to Texas.

Stop one: Justin, TX, home of Justin Roper boots. David was convinced that as a man in TX I needed a pair of boots. I was convinced otherwise and immediately clocked a city slicker due to my sandals, t-shirts and inane questions for the staff.

Me - “Why the leather bottom?”

Staff – lengthy exhale, look at other staff member “That is for dancing.”

Not being a line dancer and riding a bike versus a horse, I passed, but David walked out with some great ostrich boots.

IMG_0669

I did answer the question as to why Texans hike and ski in jeans. It is the marketing of denim as the prime choice for all outdoor adventure.

IMG_0671

From this point forward it was food tour of a ridiculous nature.

Below is a burger from the Love Shack, owned by Tim Love. It is made whole by the addition of quail egg and cheese, oh, and some bacon.

IMG_0685

Dinner that evening included Magnolia fries and a custom kitchen sink burger with cheese, cheese sauce,ham, chicken friend bacon(!), onions, mushrooms, a fried egg and chili.

IMG_0698

Below is a fish bowl sized margarita spiced with serrano peppers. The touch of heat brightens the drinks, but also makes it disappear with alarming speed.

IMG_0707

Other meals featured tenderloin for breakfast, samples at Central Market, esoteric beers at the Ginger Man and ribs that fell of the bone at Angelos. I would wilt in the heat and humidity of Fort Worth were I to live there, which is only made more true by the fact that I would be Clydesdale due to the food I would consume.

No comments:

Post a Comment