A strong appetite, average palate, and weak writing, mixed with outdoor adventure.

A strong appetite, average palate, and weak writing, mixed with outdoor adventure.

Monday, September 26, 2011

Autumn Color Run

I ran a 1/2 marathon a couple of weekends back. It was the Autumn Color Run in Buena Vista. The run was great, but was secondary to spending a weekend kicking about mountain towns with friends. Matt flew in from Virginia and managed to win his age group in the 10K. Alan, true to form this entire summer, was in attendance, and threw down a 1:42. I followed with a 1:45, by far my fastest run to date. Aleka came in at 2:00, crushing her expectation for her first half-marathon.

Post-run recovery included a stint in hot springs, a no-holds-barred game of Scrabble, whose competition outstripped anything seen on the race course, dinner overlooking the Arkansas River and a few games of pool.

Cheap beer will never top a list of ideal post-run activities, but I will trade the laughter of friends, old and new, over electrolyte drinks any day. With that said, I was more sore than I have been in years. In fact, the only comparable experience I could conjure was an off-the-couch of two 14ers in 2000.

 

photo5

Ominous skies above the southern Sawatch Range the night before the race

photo2

This rainbow greeted us upon arrival in Salida

The race team post-hot springs, little did we know that we would be limping for days

photo7

I am glad to count both of these guys as friends

photo8

Harking back to high school, Matt and I shot some pool. We are still mediocre, but now of age to buy beer and overlook this fact

No comments:

Post a Comment