A strong appetite, average palate, and weak writing, mixed with outdoor adventure.

A strong appetite, average palate, and weak writing, mixed with outdoor adventure.

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Labor Day Weekend (in pictures)

Alan and I headed to the southwestern corner of Colorado to climb some 14ers in the San Juans over the long weekend.

Day 1: Wilson Peak

We had hoped to climb Wilson Peak, El Diente and Mt Wilson Peak in a single day.  We were on the trail before 4 AM and lost by 5 AM. The solid trail simply petered out amidst an intersection of historic mining roads, rock piles and a snowfield. In what amounted to a coin toss we elected to skirt up the snowfield, thinking the trail lay beneath it, and ended up thrashing about for well over an hour. It is frustrating to see where you should be, but not know how to get there. Upon finding our way the decision was made to only summit Wilson Peak and enjoy the afternoon in Telluride.

 

003

Alan leaving the saddle and heading up the ridge

009

Dramatic change in rock color, it looked like mulch from a distance

Just below the summit

Hack sack on the summit

This flag is from Park Burger, we earned free burgers for this picture

IMG_0955

Post-hike hacky sack and log juggling, it ended with Alan kicking a log

Day 2: Mt Sneffels and Handies Peak

We hit up some hot springs in Ouray, grabbed dinner at the Ouray Brewery and went to bed with a 4 AM wake up call. The first peak of the day was Sneffels, which ascended the southwest ridge and was soaked in a stunning sunrise.

From here we made some poor route choices on a 4-WD drive road and ended up at “the Wall”, one of the more challenging 4-WD features on the Alpine Loop. After watching a 4-Runner repeatedly beat and bash it way to the top we opted to backtrack. We got to Handies at nearly 4 PM and after hours in the truck took our frustrations out on the trail. We climbed ~2,400 vertical feet in 1:15 hours and had the summit to ourselves given the late hour.

028

Alan in alpenglow on Sneffles

 

035

The “Kissing Camels” rock formation

057

Cruising the southwest ridge

Sneffels_Pan copy

Panorama from summit of Mt Sneffels

Alpine Gorilla

Panorama from Yankee Boy Basin

094

The Toyota commercial picture

104

Chilly atop Handies Peak

IMG_0973

Trying to look casual on Sneffels’ southwest ridge

IMG_0981

This sunrise was the best I have seen all year

More burgers!

IMG_1001

My hat and sunglasses are at my feet. I had taken them out of my pack when gearing up at the saddle. I wear sunglasses in all conditions so the thought I would not find them left me mortified.

Wandering along the tundra

Post-hike sideshow once again featuring juggling and hacky sack.

IMG_1047

More burgers

In my haste to leave the trailhead I forgot gloves. A hat on one hand and a bandana on the other, it was mostly comfortable.

IMG_1055

Basin and lake coming off Handies

Day 4: Uncompahgre Peak

I had climbed this one before, and after three peaks and two days of being up before sunrise, I sat this one out. Alan headed out shortly after 5 AM and I buried myself in my sleeping bag for a few more hours of sleep.

IMG_1085
Alan looking as though he has been fired across the summit of Uncompahgre from a cannon.

118

Me, finally waking up, about 30 minutes after Alan had hit the summit. I felt lazy, but the hot cup of coffee I was drinking 10 minutes later soothed any misgivings I may have had for forgoing a summit.

No comments:

Post a Comment