A strong appetite, average palate, and weak writing, mixed with outdoor adventure.

A strong appetite, average palate, and weak writing, mixed with outdoor adventure.

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Bike Conversion

I have been riding a Raleigh One Way for the last four years. Being a singlespeed there is minimal maintenance and weight, like a laid back anorexic, making it the perfect for getting around town. Lately though I have craved a more comfortable set up, a ride in which the handlebars are at least level with the seat. I would be losing pedaling power, but I would also not feel like I was perpetually doing a push up.

02

The original set up. Note the low height of the handlebars.

Tracy and I made a trip to Cycle Analyst for parts, lined up the tools, cracked beers and started taking off brakes and handlebars. Tracy and I are both consummate bike nerds, but this does not mean we are the most competent people with wrench in hand. We were both pleasantly surprised when the entire process took less than 30 minutes. A few days later and I can say I really enjoy the more upright ride. It is slower, but it is summer in Denver, and slowing down and appreciating the fruits of the season is in order.

photo

 

sdf

The finished product

324

The low cost demanded by Tracy for assistance

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you two did a great job. I went with upright bars on one bike a few years back and now have them on several of my bikes. It's great to see traffic and the world around me more easily, and with more comfort. I've even done a triathlon on Nitto Albatross bars. The result was the same as it would have been were I on a sub 15-pound wonderbike with drop bars; I didn't win.

    ReplyDelete